All articles and videos about Gemara
Sign of Redemption: Eretz Yisrael gives fruit generously
Why does fruit growing on the trees in Eretz Yisrael indicate the redemption?
1. Am Yisrael is developing. As with an infant, physical development precedes spiritual development.
2. Am Yisrael is learning Torah, therefore God sees to it that the nation’s physical condition is positive.
3. Am Yisrael's progress is evident in the physical condition of Eretz Yisrael.
Eretz Yisrael Aquired Thru “Yisurim”
Why would anyone want to receive a gift if the gift causes suffering?
In order to realize the precious gifts of Torah, the Land of Israel and the World to Come, one must be committed and invest oneself in them. Otherwise, these types of gifts will not likely be kept long by the recipient.
The Number of Tzadikim in the Land of Israel
Why does the world continue to exist for 45 righteous people? Why is the larger group of 30 in Eretz Yisrael?
The number forty-five factors as three times fifteen. Maharal explains that fifteen represents the highest level and mentions the significance of three. The larger group exists in Eretz Yisrael since it is the heart of the world and source of vitality for the entire world.
Rabbi Zera’s Impulsivity in Entering Eretz Yisrael
Why did Rabbi Zera rush to enter the Land of Israel?
If Rabbi Zera had hesitated before crossing the Jordan, it might have prevented his entering the Land.
Songs of Praise Within Eretz Yisrael
Why is Hallel only recited for miracles that occurred in the Land of Yisrael?
1. The nature of providence over the Land is on a higher level than of other lands.
2. It is more appropriate to recite Hallel in Eretz Yisrael since the influence of the Land’s completion is when the Nation of Israel is within her.
The Shechina is Not Manifest Outside Eretz Yisrael
Rabbi Abba eulogized Rav Huna, saying that he was worthy of having the Shechina rest upon him, but did not since he lived outside the Land of Israel. Why?
Since material things in the Land of Israel can be elevated to a level of sanctity, bodily purity can be achieved. Then the imaginative faculty can be purified as well which allows experiencing the manifestation of the Shechina.
Why Did Elimelech, Machlon and Chilion Die?
Why were Elimelech and his sons punished by death for leaving Eretz Yisrael?
Elimelech and his sons' sin was abandoning the nation in its time of difficulty; geographically (leaving the Land), economically (not supporting the people); and by marrying foreign women.
The Love of Amoraim for Eretz Yisrael
What can be learned from the love of the Amoraim for the Land of Israel?
The love must be expressed in tangible ways: to make aliyah, to invest in her and to focus on her positive side.
Living in Eretz Yisrael is Considered as having a God
Why is there more fulfillment to live in the Land of Israel than outside the Land?
1. The fulfillment of mitzvot includes a Jewish national aspect. A significant number of mitzvot cannot be fulfilled outside Eretz Yisrael. Without the Nation of Israel in its Land, there is a great void in the Divine service of Am Yisrael.
2. Kuzari presents a metaphor; planting a vineyard. Am Yisrael's ability to grow and blossom properly, and to achieve sanctity, depends on its being in Eretz Yisrael.
Why Moshe Rabbeinu declines to lead Birkat Hamazon
The Gemara teaches that in the future, God will host a banquet for the righteous and the cup of Grace will be passed among those in attendance. Why will Moshe refuse because he was not privileged to enter the Land of Israel?
Had Moshe been buried in the Land, his sins, including that at Mei Meriva would have been forgiven, since burial in the Land is equivalent to burial under the altar which gives atonement.
Simon & Renee Abadi
With gratitude & appreciation to Rav Yehoshua Rosen שליט"א